20031201: IRIX compiler-version 7.4 build/test failure

>From: Carlie Coats <address@hidden>

Hi Carlie,

>I find that I have serious problems building netCDF with the IRIX 7.4
>compilers.  The "make" ostensibly completes successfully, but then
>"make test" fails, as indicated below.  Under identical circumstances,
>the build succeeds; the indications are that SGI has done something
>with 7.4 that causes this failure.  (For what it's worth, they've also
>messed up lots of other things:  behavior of input and output units,
>no longer flushing WRITE(*,*) output unless attached to a terminal,
>linking BLOCK DATA subprograms...)
>
>Don't know what you can do about it, or anything, but thought you
>ought to know.

We too have run into problems building the netCDF using the MIPS 7.4
compilers on IRIX.

We tested the following combination of options with "make test" in the
"libsrc/" subdirectory (this is the simplest "blunder" test):

    Compiler Options            "make test"
    ---------------------------+------------
    -g -n32                     fails
    -g                          fails
    -O -n32                     succeeds
    -n32                        fails
    -g -o32                     succeeds

So, you can use the '-O -n32' and '-g -o32' flags for both CFLAGS
and FFLAGS and be successful.

Note that this is definitely a compiler problem, not an netCDF one :-)

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas