20031204: Problem with Absoft8.0 on Mac OS

Stephen,

>Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:33:43 -0800
>From: Stephen Leroy <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20031203: Problem with Absoft8.0 on Mac OS

> -YEXT_NAMES=LCS declares that all globally visible symbol names be
> emitted in lower case (LCS). Other options are for "as declared"
> (ASIS) and uppercase (UCS). <br>
>
> -YEXT_SFX is an option used to append a user-specified string to the
> external representation of external procedure names. <br>
>
> -YCFRL=1 forces the compiler to pass CHARACTER arguments in a way
> compatible with g77 and f2c compilers. -YCFRL=0 forces the compiler
> to pass CHARACTER arguments in a way compatible with other Absoft
> compilers. Should be consistent for all linked modules. <br>

I wish you had told me this earlier; it would have saved some time.

Because you will have to compile all netCDF-using Fortran code with
the same options -- regardless of how that code would like to be
compiled -- it's a good idea to settle on what conventions you want to
use before building the netCDF package.  Note, however, that you can
build multiple variants of the netCDF package; you'll just have to
install them in different places.

Do you want all current and future netCDF-using Fortran code to be
compiled in the following way:

    -YEXT_NAMES=LCS

    -YEXT_SFX=_

    -YCFRL=1