20031120: problem compiling netcdf-3.5.0 on hpux ia64 (Itanium 2) machine

Charles,

>Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:20:11 -0500
>From: "Charles F. Fisher" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20031119: problem compiling netcdf-3.5.0 on hpux ia64 (Itanium 2)
>machine

> As previously noted, I know what the problem is - the configuration assumes
> that default HPUX Fortran compiler behavior is not to append _ to symbols.
> This is not true for HPUX on ia64 machines.  What wasn't clear to me was
> how to ammend the configuration so that the library can be used with Fortran
> programs compiled at the default setting.

The C macro "extname" should cause the C compiler to append an
underscore to all C functions that might be called by Fortran code.
Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

    3.  Ensure that the C macro "extname" is defined in the CPPFLAGS
        environment variable, e.g.,

            export CPPFLAGS=-Dextname

        or

            setenv CPPFLAGS -Dextname

        depending on your user-shell.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

If this works, would you please send me your final environment variable
settings.  I'll add them to our "other builds" webpage.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson