20031105: NetCDF 3.5.0 build problem

Davide,

>Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:48:03 +0200 (IST)
>From: <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20031105: NetCDF 3.5.0 build problem

> first of all thanks..
> for what concern the organization:
> I am PhD student at Weizmann Institute of Science and I am trying to
> install NetCDF because I have to work with ROMS (Regional Model Ocean
> System fro Rutgers Marine University)
>
> I was trying to follow your suggestion but after that I made the following
> operation:
>
> 1) setting environment variable:
>
> before
>
> make distclean
> and
> rm -rf confi.cache
>
> then because I did it as root
>
> SHELL /bin/bash
> so:
>  export CC="/usr/bin/gcc"
>  export CPPFLAGS="-Df2cFortran"
>  export FCFLAGS="/usr/bin/g77"
>
> (the paths are correct)
>
> I launched the config command
>
> ./configure --prefix="/usr/local/ROMS/netcdf-3.5.0/src" > configure.log

The above command should be

    ./configure &>configure.log

Use of the "--prefix=..." option is unnecessary in your case and
specifying the source-directory (i.e., ".../src") is incorrect
because it will cause the netCDF package to be installed in the
"/usr/local/ROMS/netcdf-3.5.0/src" directory, e.g.,

    /usr/local/ROMS/netcdf-3.5.0/src/bin
    /usr/local/ROMS/netcdf-3.5.0/src/include
    /usr/local/ROMS/netcdf-3.5.0/src/lib

which is wrong.

The string "&>" causes the bash(1) user-shell to redirect both standard
output and standard error to the following file (i.e., "configure.log")
which is necessary.

Please do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command

            make distclean

    3.  Execute the command

            rm config.cache

    4.  Execute the commands

            export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
            export CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
            export CFLAGS=-O
            export FC=/usr/bin/g77
            export FFLAGS='-O -Wno-globals'
            ./configure &>configure.log

        and send me the file "configure.log" from this step.

    5.  If the previous step was successful, then execute the command

            make &>make.log

        and send me the file "make.log" from this step.

    6.  If the previous step was successful, then execute the command

            make test &>test.log

        and send me the file "test.log" from this step.

    7.  If the previous step was successful, then execute the command

            make install &>install.log

        and send me the file "install.log" from this step.

    8.  If the previous step was successful, then you have successfully
        built and installed the netCDF package.  Execute the command

            make clean

        to remove unnecessary intermediate files.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson