Re: 20031030:64-bit netCDF library build

>To: address@hidden
>From: Roger Davis <address@hidden>
>Subject: 64-bit netCDF library build

Hi Roger,

> Hi, I have a an application using the netCDF library that I
> am porting to run as a 64-bit executable so that I can address
> more than 4Gb of memory. This requires that all linked
> libraries also be compiled 64-bit. Can the latest netCDF release
> be compiled in thas manner? If not, will this be doable in the
> near future? I need to do this on Solaris and Irix platforms.
>
> (I do not need support for 64-bit data entities within netCDF
> files at the moment, or to be able to write large files. I just
> need a 64-bit library to link into my 64-bit executable.)

Yes, you should be able to compile all the recent netCDF releases as
64-bit executables.  On IRIX64, we set this combination of environment
variables before running the configure script and it worked fine:

    CC='/bin/cc -64'
    CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
    CFLAGS=-O
    FC='/bin/f90 -64'
    FFLAGS=-O
    F90='/bin/f90 -64'
    CXX='/bin/CC -64'
    CXXFLAGS=-O

On Solaris, we used this to make a 64-bit binary:

    CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89
    CFLAGS='-xarch=v9'
    FC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f90
    FFLAGS='-w -xarch=v9'
    CXX=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC
    CXXFLAGS='-xarch=v9'

Variations of these will probably work also.

Please let us know if you encounter problems.

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ