20031003: NetCDF on a debian Itanium 1 Machine

Jose,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Jose Quesada <address@hidden>
> Subject: NetCDF on a debian Itanium 1 Machine

> I have found some problems trying to install NetCDF on a debian Itanium 1
> Machine. ( I don't think there is a package or rpm for ia64 as yet).
>
> The configuration I'm using is:
> export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
> export CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
> export FC=/usr/bin/gcc
> export FFLAGS=-Wno-globals
> export CXX=/usr/bin/gcc
> ./configure

The problem is that the "FC=/usr/bin/gcc" line above defines the Fortran
compiler to be the C compiler.  This is probably not what you want.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 4, which are described near the end of
        the file INSTALL.html

    3.  Set the following environment variable to the indicated values:

            export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
            export CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
            export CFLAGS=-O
            export FC=/usr/bin/g77
            export FFLAGS='-O -Wno-globals'
            export CXX=/usr/bin/g++

        or

            setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
            setenv CPPFLAGS '-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
            setenv CFLAGS -O
            setenv FC /usr/bin/g77
            setenv FFLAGS '-O -Wno-globals'
            setenv CXX /usr/bin/g++

        depending on your user-shell.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9, which are described near the end of
        the file INSTALL.html

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson