Re: 20030926:aggregate different netCDF files

Hi All,

These additional hints to Russ' solution solve the problem without
invoking an editor:

>You can almost do this with the ncecat program, but it creates a
>record dimension that you may not want.  For example, if you run
>
> ncecat lev-1000-Time-0.nc lev-950-Time-0.nc ... lev-200-Time-0.nc Time-0.nc

Shell filename globbing also works fine here:

ncecat lev-*-Time-0.nc Time-0.nc

>(where I've used "..." to save typing), you get a file with the first
>time and all 10 levels, but now have a record dimension of 10, where 1
>record is used for each level, something like:
>
> float var(record, Time, lev, Lon, Lat) ;
>
>with lev of size 1 and record of size 10, instead of

and also a time of size 1. Perhaps the easiest  NCO strategy is to
average over the degenerate dimensions then renaming "record" to lev:

ncwa -O -a Time,lev Time-0.nc Time-0.nc
ncrename -d record,lev Time-0.nc

Now you will have

float var(lev, Lon, Lat) ;

which is presumably what you want.

Good luck,
Charlie

P.S. The correct place to post NCO questions is shown on nco.sf.net
--

Charlie Zender, zender at uci dot edu, (949) 824-2987, Department of
Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100