Re: 20030915:File Offset questions related to 2GB dataset sizes

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Greg Sjaardema" <address@hidden>
>Subject: File Offset questions related to 2GB dataset sizes

Hi Greg,

> I would be very interested in this prototype. The changing file
> mapping doesn't bother me since we can translate into a stable
> format for archive very easily.  What steps are needed to get access
> to this?  I was aware of the proposal, but didn't realize that there
> was anything that would be available so soon.

I can't promise anything, but we're trying to get the prototype ready
for internal testing within a couple of weeks.  I can't anticipate how
long it will take after that to package it up for beta testing, but
our NASA proposal says we should make that available by the end of
the year.  I think it will be sooner than that.

By the way, if you choose option 2, modifying the C interface to use
64-bit offsets, could you send us your changes?  Especially if you're
able to create a library that can access both netCDF version 1 files
(32-bit offsets) and netCDF version 2 files (64-bit offsets), it would
be useful enough for us to consider incorporating into an official
release, giving you credit of course.  John Caron, the Java netCDF
author, already verified that it would be pretty easy to support both
formats in the Java interface.

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu