Re: libnco_c++ and libnetcdf_c++

Charlie,

> If Unidata ever decides to evolve their C++ interface to netCDF,
> I hope they will consider starting from libnco_c++ rather than
> from the existing libnetcdf_c++ interface. Actually the two are
> not mutually exclusive as they focus on different objectives.
> It occurred to me that since a re-design of libnetcdf_c++ is overdue
> and you have funding for HDF-netCDF interface, then somebody might
> actually be working on this and I wanted to make sure they looked
> at libnco_c++ as an alternative.

I'm in complete agreement that a redesign of the C++ interface is
overdue and could benefit by starting from your libnco_c++.

The NASA AIST grant does not cover redesigning the C++ interface, just
porting netCDF-4 to it, as one of the last items:

  Port to additional platforms and to C++ interface, as time permits.

Glenn had thought a better architecture for netCDF would have the core
library written in C++ with the C interface layered on top of that.

I don't know of anyone else working on this now, but we've recently
gotten several surprise announcements about netCDF developments we
weren't very aware of, such as the progress with the parallel netCDF
library from the Argonne/Northwestern group.

I'll keep you informed of any new developments in the C++ netCDF area.

--Russ