Re: 20030806:netCDF .profile file to run netCDF?

>To: address@hidden
>From: Vinay Kumar <address@hidden>
>Subject: instlation of netCDF

Hi Vinay,

> I downloaded the compresserd filr form Ferret Home
> page of NOAA in /netcd in root directory os SUN
> Solaris Machine.
> #uname -a
> SunOS pawan 5.7 Generic_106541-08 sun4u sparc
> SUNW,Ultra-5_10
>
> I install the netCDF from root at my Machine as
> instructed at the site quoted below.
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#sunos4
>
> The installtion processed correctly with no error.
> Query - I wanted to know what path I should write in
> my .profile file to run netCDF?

According to the installation instructions, when you run the configure
script you need to

  Decide where you want to install this package. Use this for the
  "--prefix=" argument to the configure script below. The default
  installation prefix is "..", which will install the package's files
  in ../bin, ../lib, and ../man relative to the netCDF src/ directory.

  Execute the configure script:

      ./configure --prefix=whatever_you_decided

  The "--prefix=..." specification is optional; if omitted, ".."
  designating the parent directory will be used as a default.

After building with "make all" and testing with "make test", you run
"make install" to put the executables in the $PREFIX/bin/ directory,
the libraries in a $PREFIX/lib/ directory, and the include files in a
$PREFIX/include/ directory, where "$PREFIX" is either what you
specified as the argument to "--prefix" or is the default "..".

If you want to use the netCDF utilities ncdump and ncgen, which were
installed in the $PREFIX/bin/ directory, you need to add that
directory to your PATH for finding executables in your .profile.  If
you want to compile source files that use the netCDF library, just
specify the $PREFIX/lib/ location on your compile line for where to
look for the libraries.

For more information on how to do this in C, see "Compiling and
Linking with the NetCDF Library" in the C User's Guide:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidec/guidec-9.html#HEADING9-89

There is a similar section in the Fortran User's Guide:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidef/guidef-9.html#HEADING9-89

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu