Re: 20030627: NEC performance issues (cont.)

>To: address@hidden
>cc: "Ingleby, Bruce" <address@hidden>
>From: Matt Huddleston <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: NEC performance issues

Hi Matt,

> Well, I've solved my performance problems.  Here are two pieces of code
> that do the same thing :
>
> (A)
> DO Iob=1,NumOb
>   iret = nf90_put_var(ncid,  potm_id, RealNobNLevVar(IOb,:), &
>                                                     start=(/1,IOb/))
> ENDDO
>
> (B)
> iret = nf90_put_var(ncid, potm_id, RealNobNLevVar,    &
>           count=(/NumObLevUsed,NumOb/), map=(/ NumOb,1 /) )
>

> And we used code (B) on our Cray T3e as it's more efficient.  However,
> on the NEC SX6, code (B) runs 70 times more slowly than (A)!!!  What are
> those C routines doing to slow the mapping down so much ?!

I'm forwarding the note below, which reports some success dealing with
NEC SX6 performance problems using a new version of netCDF available
from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/exp/netcdf-3.5.1-beta12.tar.Z

If it's convenient, could you build the new version and let us know if
its performance seems adequate for your application?  Thanks!

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu