20030729: netCDF General - Linux - software download (cont.)

>From: Alan Scheinine <address@hidden>

Alan,

>   Thank you for your rapid reply.   Where I work, the only computers
>that have nslookup from outside CRS4 are outside our firewall in
>a "DMZ" but all of the machines in the DMZ have restricted access.  A system
>administrator said that he will make for me a temporary DNS record
>for the computer at my desk.  So far, that has not solved the problem.

>From address@hidden Tue Jul 29 09:02:18 2003

>   My system administrator said that the time needed for the DNS entry
>to propogate so that you machine will find mine when doing name lookup
>could be as much as a week.  I am not pleased with his solution but
>I have not alternative.

It seems to me that the quickest way out of your dilemma is to ask your
system administrator to do the FTP for you on one of the machines in
the DMZ.  This will be at least as easy as making a temporary DNS
record for your machine.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Tue Jul 29 09:48:41 2003

Dear Tom Yoksas,
  You wrote: It seems to me that the quickest way out of your dilemma
is to ask your system administrator to do the FTP for you on one
of the machines in the DMZ.

My reply: I know, I know.  <deleted>

Thank you for your help, because now I understand the problem.
The quickest way out of my dilemma is to have the department head
of the person who needs netCDF to say that they cannot wait even
one day because their work is urgent.  In general, the system
administrators who have access to the DMZ are very helpful.

<deleted>

best regards,
Alan Scheinine