Re: 20030721:netCDF C - RedHat Linux 9.0 _ctype_b error fix/workaround for RedH (fwd)

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Timothy E. Dowling" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF C - RedHat Linux 9.0 - Waiting for __ctype_b error
>fix/workaround for RedHat 9

Final resolution of the problem ...

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:25:37 -0400
From:    "Timothy E. Dowling" <address@hidden>
To:      Russ Rew <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20030721:netCDF C - RedHat Linux 9.0 _ctype_b error fix/workaround
for RedHat 9

Russ,

I fixed my linking-before-installing problem with netcdf, which
caused the __ctype_b error when switching from Red Hat 8 to 9
(it was linking to the old netcdf/lib/libnetcdf.a), by changing
the target "all:" in my model's top makefile to have for the netcdf part
         ... \
        make;  \
        make install
  instead of just
         ... \
         make

I left the target "install:" to have "make install" for the netcdf part, which
might be redundant but seems harmless.

I understand your reasons why "make distclean" shouldn't clear out
netcdf/lib in general. For my case, I've added this clear-out to my makefile to
avoid obscure "__ctype_b" type errors in the future; instead, I'll
now get an "cannot find -lnetcdf" error, which will hopefully be less
mysterious.

Sincerely,

Tim Dowling

--
Prof. Timothy E. Dowling, Director   office: (502) 852-3927
Comparative Planetology Laboratory      fax: (502) 852-6053

------- End of Forwarded Message