Re: 20030721:netCDF C - RedHat Linux 9.0 _ctype_b error fix/workaround for RedHat 9

Tim,

Thanks for the update on the problem.

> I notice that netcdf's 'make distclean' does not empty the
> contents of netcdf/lib.  I think this may be a contributing factor
> to the obscurity of the problem, because
> the __ctype_b error would be a different error if netcdf/lib got emptied
> by 'make distclean,' potentially one that is less of a red herring.
> For me, it would have been the 'cannot find -lnetcdf' error above.

Although it might have made the problem you are seeing easier to
diagnose, I don't think 'make distclean' should empty the netcdf/lib/
directory, because:

 - As distributed, there is no netcdf/lib directory.  It may be
   created as the result of 'make install', or it may be created
   somewhere else as the result of the value of the --prefix argument
   to the configure script when 'make install' later runs.

 - If 'make distclean' removes a working older library but the
   subsequent build fails to create an updated library for some
   reason, the attempt to update would have broken the environment for
   existing applications linking to the older library.

Ultimately, we want to convert netCDF to use the new
autoconf/automake/libtool suite, which will create Makefiles that 'do
the right thing'.

--Russ