Re: 20030721:netCDF C - RedHat Linux 9.0 _ctype_b error fix/workaround for RedHat 9

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Timothy E. Dowling" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF C - RedHat Linux 9.0 - Waiting for __ctype_b error
>fix/workaround for RedHat 9

Hi Timothy,

> In function `NC_check_name\':
> : undefined reference to `__ctype_b\'
>
> that Red Hat 9+netcdf3.5.0 generates. The problem
> was acknowledged on the message board a month ago,
> but I haven\'t seen a solution or workaround yet, so I\'m stuck.
> My impression is that you were about to try RH9 about 3 weeks
> ago?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, we didn't get back to you earlier.  We just got our RedHat 9.0
installed a couple of weeks ago and your support question "slipped
through the cracks".

I just tried our netCDF 3.5.1-beta release, available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.Z

and it built and tested fine on RedHat 9.0 with the following
environment variable settings:

 CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
 FFLAGS=-Wno-globals

except that we have no Fortran90 compiler for that platform, so it
didn't build the Fortran90 interface.

Just setting the above two environment variables and running

 configure
 make all test

the compilation, linking, and all the tests ran through with no
errors.  I would be happy to send the output I get from configure,
make all, and make test for comparison, in case that would help.

The version you were testing, 3.5.0, will not work for more recent
standard-conforming C++ compilers like g++ 3.x.  However, I just
tested 3.5.0 on RedHat 9.0 also, and the C and Fortran77 interfaces
built and tested fine with the same environment variable settings as
used above.

Was the error you were seeing

  In function `NC_check_name\':
  : undefined reference to `__ctype_b\'

part of the configure test for a working C++ compiler?  If not, then
please let us know if using the environment variable settings given
above doesn't work so we can try to further diagnose the problem.

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu