Re: 20030717: HP-UX 11.22 compiling problems for netCDF

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Thomas J Brodbeck" <address@hidden>
>Subject: HP-UX 11.22 compiling problems

Hi Tom,

>       for the past few weeks i have been trying to compile netCDF for use
> on Itanium HP-UX boxes running HP-UX 11.22. I can compile the source code
> but i still get errors in the applications that use the netCDf data.  I
> think this is a result of the compile of libnetcdf not executing correctly.
> The configure script fails, on my g++ compilier when i believe it to be
> able to compile the c++ interface.  Is there any suggestions or input you
> may have to help me compile this.  The make test fails on fortran stuff.
> If you have compilied this on this platform could you please tell me the
> versions and software you used?

First, I recommend that you use the latest netCDF-beta if you are
having problems with the C++ interface:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.Z

It has some fixes for more recent C++ compilers, and has worked
successfully with g++ 3.x.

Are the applications you are getting errors in using the C++
interface?  Do you actually use the C++ interface?  If not, then you
can simply configure and build with the the environment variable CXX
set to '' and the C++ interface won't be built (it's not needed for
any of the utilities or for the C or Fortran interfaces).

We provide 3 examples of compilers and compiler options that worked
for us on our HP-UX 11.00 system at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#hpux

There's also a little more information provided by other users who
have successfully built netCDF on HP-UX or itanium platforms at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/other-builds.html#hpux-f90
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/other-builds.html#intel-ifc

If you still have problems with the latest beta netCDF using one of
these combinations, could you please send us more details, as
described in the Reporting Problems section of the INSTALL document:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html

Thanks!

--Russ