20030701: installing netCDF on Linux 2.4.9: c99

Jerry,

>Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:24:15 -0400
>From: "Jerry Guo" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: config.log

> Here is the config.log file.
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry
> sabna2 sab > more config.log
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:928: checking for top-level source-directory
> configure:938: checking for m4 preprocessor
> configure:945: checking for m4
> configure:1012: checking m4 flags
> configure:1085: checking C compiler "/usr/bin/c99"
> configure:1094: /usr/bin/c99 -c -O -Df2cFortran conftest.c 1>&5
> ./configure: /usr/bin/c99: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 1087 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> int main() {
>
> ; return 0; }

The last 9 lines above indicate that the C compiler "/usr/bin/c99"
couldn't be used because it doesn't exist.  I suspect that the
environment variable CC was set to "/usr/bin/c99" before the "configure"
script was executed.  Please verify this.

If such was the case, then please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory of the package.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

    3.  Ensure that the environment variable CC is properly set, e.g.,

            export CC=/usr/bin/gcc

        or

            setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

The file INSTALL.html contains examples of building the package on a
Linux system.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson