Re: 20030618:undefined reference to `__ctype_b'

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Bryan G. White" <address@hidden>
>Subject: undefined reference to `__ctype_b'

Hi Bryan,

You wrote:

> >> `NC_check_name':
> >> : undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
> >> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> The problem is related to glibc.  Anything on redhat9 with a glibc >=
> glibc-2.3.2-11.9 is causing the problems.  Actually, any stock glibc
> from atleast 2.3.0 and on is causing problems.
>
> glibc is no longer exporting ctype_b.
> The compat_symbol lines were removed from ctype/ctype-info.c in the
> newer glibc libraries.  RedHat8 kept the lines in ctype-info.c
> to support old static libraries.
>
> The offending line of code in netcdf is in libsrc/string.c.
> The line is:
>    if(!isalnum(ch))
>
> isalnum is found in /usr/include/ctype.h.  ctype.h does have
> reference to ctype_b.
> Sorry, I'm not much of a C programmer and I can't follow what's
> going on.

We tried building and testing on Red Hat Linux release 8.0 with glibc
version 2.3.2, but couldn't duplicate the problem there.  So it seems
to depend on something else in Red Hat 9 besides the version of glibc,
even though you thought it would happen with "any stock glibc from
at least 2.3.0".

We may have to wait until after next week, when we'll have a new Red
Hat 9 installation, to make further progress ...

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu