Re: 20030603:SIze limits with netcdf

>To: address@hidden
>From: Robin Robertson <address@hidden>
>Subject: SIze limits with netcdf

Hi Robin,

> I am running a program which uses netcdf (version 3.5), but has
> multiple large variables (greater than 2M).  What are the limits for
> the variables and for the output?
>
> Basically, I get a segmentation fault when I try to run with larger
> arrays.  Is there anything I can do to up the size?  (367x247x24
> works, but 502x519x24 does not).

See the answer to "Is it possible to create netCDF files larger than 2
Gbytes?"

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/netcdf/faq.html#lfs

and the examples of permissible file structures for large netCDF files
in the "Large File Support" section in the User's Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/f90/Documentation/f90-html-docs/guide9.html#2236524

(This section and its examples apply to the other language interfaces
as well as Fortran90, but those User Guides haven't been updated with
this information yet.)

The examples show that you can have multiple large variables as long
as the all use the unlimited dimension and the record size of each
large variable is not too large.

Please let us know if this doesn't answer your question.

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu