20030516: building netCDF under RH 9.0

Phil,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Phil Moses <address@hidden>
> Subject: netCDF / RH 9.0

> I have been trying to compile netCDF on RH 9.0 for a couple of days
> here, but have been getting hung on the g++ compiler. I have toggle
> environment variables until my face turns blue but cannot seem to get
> things right.
> I am wondering if by chance you have seen any issues like this with RH
> 9.0.

Your report is the first I've seen on the problem you're having building
the netCDF package under RedHat 9.

> This is a stock install, using gcc, f77 and g++ (Intel fortran
> compiler does not work on RH 9.0 I have been trying to use f77 to cover
> but this may be the problem). Below are further details...
>
> Linux pear 2.4.20-8 #1 Thu Mar 13 17:54:28 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux
>
> Configure errors.... (I know these are not part of netcdf, but I am
> trying to get a handle of what may be contributing)
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:612: declaration of `void exit(int) throw ()'
> throws
>    different exceptions
> configure:1232: than previous declaration `void exit(int)'
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 1230 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #ifdef __cplusplus
> extern "C" void exit(int);
> #endif

Would you please send me the file "configure.log" (NOTE: not
"config.log") which you'll find described near the end of the file
INSTALL.html.

> Make failure...
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/root/netcdf-3.5.0/src/f90'
> ../rules.make:136: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/root/netcdf-3.5.0/include'
> ../rules.make:118: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/root/netcdf-3.5.0/include'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `typeSizes.f90', needed by
> `typeSizes.o'.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/netcdf-3.5.0/src/f90'
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/netcdf-3.5.0/src'
> make: *** [f90/all] Error 2

The file "typeSizes.f90" should already exist in the "f90/" subdirectory
because it's part of the distribution. Does it exist? If so, what
happens if you drop into that subdirectory and execute the command "make
clean all"?

Some make(1)s attempt to process their targets in parallel.  Is there an
option to your make(1) that will prevent this?

> If you can advise in any way possible, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>

> --
> Phil Moses