20030506: netCDF 3.4.9 & RedHat 9.0: missing __ctype_b

Phil,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Phil Moses <address@hidden>
> Subject: netcdf-3.4-9

> I am having a bit of a problem which I believe is a bug, however I cam
> not sure where it falls exactly. I received the following error after
> upgrading to RedHat 9.0, I have tested this on many machines, all of the
> RH 9 machines fail. (Yes possibly a RH bug.)
>
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2/../../../libnetcdf.a(string.o)(.text+0x37):
>  In function `NC_check_name':
> : undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> additional information:
> netcdf-3.4-9
> gcc-3.2.2-5 (including g77)
> glibc-2.3.2-27.9
>
> Any information is greatly appreciated.

It appears from the above that the netCDF function NC_check_name is
referencing the symbol __ctype_b.  This symbol is not a netCDF symbol
and, most likely, was generated by your compiler and should be part
of the C runtime on your system.  The fact that it is undefined at
link-time indicates that you either need to reference a non-default
library (unlikely) or that the default C runtime is missing the symbol
(also unlikely).

As unlikely as either of these two options are, I suspect that one of
them is true.  You should be able to find this symbol via a command
similar to the following:

    nm -g /lib/lib* | grep __ctype_b

Note that you might have to try directories other than /lib.

Regardless of whether or not you find the symbol, I suggest that you
consult with your system administrator on this problem.

> Thanks,
> Phil Moses

Regards,
Steve Emmerson