Re: 20030404: Question

>To: address@hidden
>From: CRIL <address@hidden>
>Subject: Question

Bonjour Stephanie,

> Lors de l'écriture d'un fichier NetCDF, j'ai rencontré une limitation
> dans le nombre de variables (au max 56).
> Y a-t-il réellement une limitation? Si oui, comment la contourner?
> Merci par avance

Sorry but my French is very poor, so this reply is in English.  My
apologies also for the delay in sending this reply.

In the netcdf.h include file for C (or the equivalent netcdf.inc file
for Fortran), these limitations are specified and explained:

 /*
  * These maximums are enforced by the interface, to facilitate writing
  * applications and utilities.  However, nothing is statically allocated to
  * these sizes internally.
  */
 #define NC_MAX_DIMS    512      /* max dimensions per file */
 #define NC_MAX_ATTRS   4096     /* max global or per variable attributes */
 #define NC_MAX_VARS    4096     /* max variables per file */
 #define NC_MAX_NAME    128      /* max length of a name */
 #define NC_MAX_VAR_DIMS        NC_MAX_DIMS /* max per variable dimensions */

that limits the number of variables in a file to 4096.  This limit was
smaller in older versions of netCDF, but it has never been as small as
56.  I don't know where the limit of 56 variables comes from.  Perhaps
you are using other software that calls the netCDF library and
includes this more strict limit?

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu