Re: 20030403:new linux env var settings to compile netcdf

>To: address@hidden
>From: Erik Bryer <address@hidden>
>Subject: new linux env var settings to compile netcdf

Hi Erik,

> I noticed that netcdf would not compile with the default or suggested
> environment variables in INSTALL.html. Here is what I had to use...
>
>     CC=/usr/bin/c99
>     CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
>     FC=/usr/bin/g77
>     FFLAGS=-Wno-globals
>     CXX=/usr/bin/g++
>
> Note that this is basically what is listed in the INSTALL.html for a linux
> system, with the exception of the c compiler. I would have thought gcc
> would work because, as you know, egcs has morphed into gcc. This did not
> work, however, when I specified it as the CC. I assume I could have made
> it work had I set flags to force c99 compliance rather than call c99
> directly, however. I had to set CC=c99 even after a successful configure.
> Here's my machine:
>
> Linux cook.met.fsu.edu 2.4.18-27.8.0smp #1 SMP Fri Mar 14 07:13:13 EST
> 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I think gcc will work with the latest netCDF beta version, available
from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.Z

But thanks for the information, I've added a note about your finding
to the INSTALL documentation at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#linux

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu