20030305: using g++ 3.2 to build netCDF

>From: Mike Dixon <address@hidden>

Mike,

>I am trying to set up an environment using gcc 3.2.2.
>
>Do you have a version of the netcdf libs which will build using these
>compilers? I downloaded the standard source and the test for the c++
>compiler failed - my guess is the code is not compliant with the
>namespace aspects, since those are the major changes we have had to
>make to our code to get it to compile.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

I just built netcdf-3.5.1-beta10 on our RedHat 8.0 Linux machine that
has g++ 3.2:

% g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)

I did not, however, do much in the way of testing this configuration.

You can grab this beta using anonymous FTP from our FTP server
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu:

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/netcdf
  binary
  get netcdf-3.5.1-beta10.tar.Z
  quit

The environment variable flags I had set for this build were:

CC=gcc
CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran
CFLAGS=-O
FC=g77
FFLAGS=-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic
CXX=g++

Tom Yoksas