Re: 20030120: installing NetCDF on AIX 5.1

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden
>From: OHNAWA <address@hidden>
>Subject: on installing NetCDF

Hi Masashi Ohnawa,

> My name is Masashi Ohnawa, a graduate student at Tokyo Univ, Japan.
>
> I have a problem in installing NetCDF for the reason
> I don't understand owing to the lack of knowledge.
>
> Executing as the instruction in
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html
> says, I tried to install NetCDF in vain.
>
> I failed at the stage of 7. executing the command 'make'
> in section 'Reporting Problems'. The situation is as follows.
>
> A.  uname -a >> AIX whale 1 5 0020ADAA4C00
> B.  VERSION >> 3.5.0
> C.  >> attached
> D.  I'm sorry, but I'm not confident whether the file
>     macros.make included the required information.
>     If it doesn't, I'll look it up later.
> E.  >> attached
> F.  >> attached
> G.  >> attached
>
> I'm not familiar with computers, so I might have made silly mistakes.
>
> Would you please specify what's wrong and tell me
> how to remove it?  Thank you for your cooperation.

The last bit of attachment you included from the output of "make all" was:

> Making `all' in directory /home/dmmg/ohnawa/netcdf-3.5.0/src/ncgen
>
>         xlc -c -O -I../libsrc -I.  -DNDEBUG main.c
>         xlc -c -O -I../libsrc -I.  -DNDEBUG load.c
>         xlc -c -O -I../libsrc -I.  -DNDEBUG ncgentab.c
>         xlc -c -O -I../libsrc -I.  -DNDEBUG escapes.c
>         xlc -c -O -I../libsrc -I.  -DNDEBUG getfill.c
>         xlc -c -O -I../libsrc -I.  -DNDEBUG init.c
>         xlc -c -O -I../libsrc -I.  -DNDEBUG genlib.c
>         xlc -o ncgen -O  main.o load.o ncgentab.o escapes.o  getfill.o init.o
> ge
> nlib.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
> Target "all" is up to date.
>
> Returning to directory /home/dmmg/ohnawa/netcdf-3.5.0/src
>

> Making `all' in directory /home/dmmg/ohnawa/netcdf-3.5.0/src/cxx
>
>         /bin/xlC -c -O -I../libsrc -I.  -DNDEBUG netcdf.cpp

There is nothing after this, so I am assuming that the failure is in
the C++ compilation step.  The netcdf-3.5.0 version used some old C++
syntax that is no longer supported in the more recent C++ standard.
If you need the netCDF C++ interface, I recommend trying the beta-test
release of netCDF-3.5.1-beta10 that works better with recent strict C++
compilers:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.1-beta10.tar.Z

However, you may not even need the netCDF C++ interface.  If you
invoke "make clean", remove the file "config.cache", and set the
environment variable CXX='' before running the configure script, it
will build the C and Fortran interfaces, but skip the C++ interface.
If you need the C++ interface and still have problems compiling using
the netCDF-3.5.1-beta10 version, please send us the details, including
the compiler error messages you see, to "address@hidden".

--Russ