20030110: netCDF library link problem: missing f77 interface

Ashish,

> [...]

> checking C compiler "cc"... works
> checking how to make dependencies... false
> checking for CC... (cached) c++
> checking C++ compiler "c++"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E
> checking for f77... (cached) f77
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking if Fortran-77 compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking "f77" as Fortran-90 compiler... failed to build test program
> checking for xlf90... no
> checking for f90... no
> configure: warning: Could not find working Fortran-90 compiler
> configure: warning: The Fortran-90 interface will not be built
> checking for nm utility
> checking for nm... (cached) nm
> checking nm flags...
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... sub_
> checking for Fortran "byte"... yes
> checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... yes
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "short"... no
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "int"... no
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "long"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "short"... yes
> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "int"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "long"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer" is C "int"... yes
> checking if Fortran "real" is C "float"... yes
> checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "double"... yes
> checking for Fortran-equivalent to netCDF "byte"... byte
> checking for Fortran-equivalent to netCDF "short"... integer*2
> checking for math library
> checking for tanh in -lc... (cached) no
> checking for tanh in -lm... (cached) yes
> checking for ar utility
> checking for ar... (cached) ar
> checking ar flags... cru
> checking for nm utility
> checking for nm... (cached) nm
> checking nm flags...
> checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
> checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
> checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
> checking for strerror... (cached) yes
> checking for working ftruncate()... yes
> checking for working alloca.h... (cached) yes
> checking for alloca... (cached) yes
> checking for st_blksize in struct stat... (cached) yes
> checking for IEEE floating point format... yes
> checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
> checking for size_t... (cached) yes
> checking for off_t... (cached) yes
> checking for ssize_t... (cached) yes
> checking for ptrdiff_t... (cached) yes
> checking for uchar... (cached) no
> checking whether char is unsigned... (cached) no
> checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... (cached) no
> checking size of short... (cached) 2
> checking size of int... (cached) 4
> checking size of long... (cached) 4
> checking size of float... (cached) 4
> checking size of double... (cached) 8
> checking size of off_t... (cached) 4
> checking size of size_t... (cached) 4
> checking for manual-page index command...
> checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/dummy_system

With the information that you sent, I believe that the problem was
incorrect setting of certain environment variables prior to executing
the "configure" script.

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 and 4, which are described near the end of the
        file INSTALL.html.

    3.  Set the following environment variables to the indicated values:

            Variable              Value

            CC                    /usr/bin/gcc
            CPPFLAGS              -Df2cFortran
            FC                    /usr/bin/f77
            FFLAGS                -Wno-globals
            CXX                   /usr/bin/g++

        Note that the variable "CPPFLAGS" is set to "-Df2cFortran"

        The way that you set these variables will depend on your
        user-shell:

            Standard shell (e.g. sh, ksh, bash):

                export CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran

            csh-like shell (e.g. csh, tcsh):

                setenv CPPFLAGS -Df2cFortran

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9, which are described near the end of
        the file INSTALL.html.

Please let me know if this helps.

> Thanx
>
> Regards,