Re: HDF and netCDF (fwd)

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:38:32 -0600
From:    Mike Folk <address@hidden>
To:      "Ted Habermann" <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
         address@hidden, Brand Fortner <address@hidden>
cc:      address@hidden
Subject: Re: HDF and netCDF

Hi Ted.  Great to hear from you.   Russ's reply captures the differences
extremely well, I think, so I won't confuse things with yet another
version.  Just a couple of additions:

One thing about HDF5 that has been relevant for certain users: HDF5 can
store large *numbers* of objects.  Whereas the old HDF could store a
maximum of 64,000 of any given object (and only 20,000 datasets (SDS)),
HDF5 can store 2^31-1 or 2^64-1 objects, depending on how the file is created.

And about netCDF I would add that in my view the netCDF data model is more
closely suited to the context in which many scientists view their data.  I
would say it's a more scientifically powerful data model for a very wide
range of applications.  This is why we would really love to offer the
netCDF API to HDF5 users.

Mike

--
Mike Folk, Scientific Data Tech (HDF)   http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu
NCSA/U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign          217-244-0647 voice

------- End of Forwarded Message