Re: 20021211: updates to the NCL entry in netCDF page

>To: address@hidden,
>To: address@hidden
>From: Mary Haley <address@hidden>
>Subject: updates to your software page

Hi Mary,

> I'm looking at your page:
>
>        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html
>
> and there are some updates that need to take place with regard to NCAR
> Graphics and NCL. Firstly, NCAR Graphics is now free, so it can go
> under your "Freely Available Software" list.  Also, NCL is a separate
> package from NCAR Graphics, so they should be listed separately.

I've listed NCL, but I don't think it's appropriate to include NCAR
Graphics, because it has nothing to do with netCDF.  All the software
listed on the "Software for Manipulating or Displaying NetCDF Data" is
related to netCDF, either in its ability to import netCDF files or to
analyze, manipulate, or browse netCDF data.  I think NCAR Graphics,
as a general-purpose scientific plotting package, does not belong
there.  I previously listed an "NCAR Graphics" entry, but it really
described NCL, so I've renamed the entry and put it under the
"freely-available software" section.

> NCL can also be listed under the "Freely Available", but only the
> binaries can be obtained freely. We don't release source (yet).  NCL's
> home page is http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/. Ethan Alpert is gone, so
> please change the contact to Mary Haley, address@hidden.  Also, Dennis
> Shea and Sylvia Murphy have put quite a bit of work into their own NCL
> web site, that's at:
>
>      http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/
>
> If possible, could you link to this as well as the NCL home page?

OK, I've taken a stab at it.  Mostly I just left the old NCL entry the
same, so if you see anything that needs to be changed there, please
let me know:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#NCL

Thanks for letting us know about the changes!

--Russ