Re: 20021031: proposal to add an nc_fdopen() function to netCDF

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Martin Wheatley)

Hi Martin,

> The JET project is part of the European Fusion Development programme
> and we use NETcdf heavily for storing much of our processed data.
>
> Occassionally we have problems with our data server because of a
> 'limitation' in the API to NETcdf.
>
> Could you consider a new "open" function? say nc_fdopen() that is
> passed an FD that is already connected to the underlying NETcdf file
>
> The problem we have is that we generate the name of the file and pass
> it to our data server which then opens it - unfortunately it may be
> deleted from our HSM BEFORE the nc_open() is executed. With nc_fdopen()
> then 'hole' would be closed since we have a mechanism in place to pass
> open FDs and avoid the 'deletion hole'

On the surface, this sounds doable, but I'll have to look into whether
this is as easy to implement as I think.  There may be some
portability issues (netCDF must work on Win32 systems) and problems
with a mismatch between what you can specify as the file made with
open(2) and what nc_open() permits.

If anyone there has already implemented a prototype of this, it would
make it easier to figure out exactly what would work for you.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--Russ