Re: netCDF-to-XML Dump Utility?

>To: address@hidden
>From: David Han <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20020910: netCDF-to-XML Dump Utility?

Hi David,

> Are there any utilities out there that extracts the contents of a
> netCDF file into a XML file?  If not, do you have any plans for
> developing such an utility?  It'd nice if such an capability is
> available through the ncdump utility.

Yes, although the early effort at this, ncxdump, used a proposed XML
representation for netCDF that we have since revised.  The latest
version of an XML representation is called "NcML":

  http://www.scd.ucar.edu/vets/luca/netcdf/

That web page includes links to the following web application:

  http://www.scd.ucar.edu/vets/luca/netcdf/extract_metadata.htm

that lets you specify a URL for netCDF data and returns its XML
representation.  Source for the application is available: