20020822: Intel ifc Fortran compiler needs libcxa.so.1

Frederic,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Frederic Marin <address@hidden>
> Subject: NETCDF library compilation

>    I tried to compile the netcdf library with gcc as the
> C-compiler and ifc (Intel Fortran Compiler, non-commercial
> version 6.0) as the fortran compiler. Even though I took
> into account the modification in cfortran.h which is suggested
> in your website, I did not manage to compile this library.
>
>    You will find in attachment the output of my unsuccessful
> compilation. Do you know what can create this problem?
>
>    Thank you in advance for your answer,
>
>    Best regards,
>
> Frederic
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>           Frederic MARIN
>
>            AOS program
>     P.O. Box CN710, Sayre Hall
>         Forrestal Campus
>   Princeton, NJ 08544-0710   US
>        tel:  609-258-2906
>        home: 609-683-5562
>        fax:  609-258-2850
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--

The standard output from the configure script:

> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for top-level source-directory
> /home/fmarin/packages/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0/src
> checking for m4 preprocessor
> checking for m4... m4
> checking m4 flags... -B10000
> checking C compiler "/usr/bin/gcc"... works
> checking how to make dependencies... false
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/gcc -E
> checking user-defined Fortran-77 compiler
> "/opt/intel/compiler60/ia32/bin/ifc"... works
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking if Fortran-77 compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking user-defined Fortran-90 compiler ""... failed to compile test program
> checking for nm utility
> checking for nm... nm
> checking nm flags...
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... sub_
> checking for Fortran "byte"... yes
> checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... no
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "short"... no
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "int"... no
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "long"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "short"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "int"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "long"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer" is C "int"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer" is C "long"... no
> checking if Fortran "real" is C "float"... no
> checking if Fortran "real" is C "double"... no
> checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "double"... no
> checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "float"... no

indicates a problem: the configure script couldn't find any C primitive
types to correspond to the Fortran primitive types.  The reason why is
found in the file "config.log":

> configure:1933: checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"
> configure:1942: /usr/bin/gcc -c -DNDEBUG -DINTEL_COMPILER  conftest.c
> configure:1944: /opt/intel/compiler60/ia32/bin/ifc -Vaxlib -c conftestf.f
>    main program
>
>            byte values(4)
>            ^
> Warning 12 at (1:conftestf.f) : Type BYTE is an extension to standard Fortran
> 95
>
> 4 Lines Compiled
> configure:1946: /opt/intel/compiler60/ia32/bin/ifc -o conftest -Vaxlib
> conftestf.o conftest.o
> configure:1948: ./conftest
> ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libcxa.so.1: cannot open
> configure:1981: checking if Fortran "byte" is C "short"

Apparently, your fortran compiler needs the shared library "libcxa.so.1"
but can't load it. You will have to determine why before you can build
the Fortran interface of the netCDF library.

Please let me know what you discover.

Regards,