Re: NetCDF data files

>To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>From: "Bui, Them" <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF data files

Them,

> Thank you for your instruction. I download the "ncdump" program and it is
> work like you said. It is a great help to us.

You're welcome, I'm glad you're finding ncdump useful.

> I have another question and needs your help. I was told that these files are
> images files and Right now there are no tools commonly available to display
> and manipulate the image files. The simplest thing to do is to create a
> strip image and In a strip image the individual scans are displayed as a
> sequence of images. I do not know and not yet work with how to create a
> strip image that relate to NetCDF files. Please let me know if you have any
> information on this subject? It will be a great help.

If you happen to have IDL, you might find Tom Woods' IDL procedures
useful for this:

  ftp://laspftp.colorado.edu/pub/see/software/idl/netCDF/readme.txt

Another possibility, if you don't need to interpret the satellite
navigation, is just using a generic netCDF utility such as ncview:

  http://meteora.ucsd.edu/~pierce/ncview_home_page.html

or ncBrowse:

  http://www.epic.noaa.gov/java/ncBrowse/

There are many other generic systems that can read and provide a
visualization of netCDF data described here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

NOAA FSL's AWIPS system can read and display satellite images
represented as netCDF files, but that is a large system that you would
not want to install just for this purpose, and it would require that
the TIMED images were stored using the same netCDF conventions AWIPS
expects:

  http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/awips/aifmdocs/sec_4_e.htm

I just mention it in case you happen to already have access to an
AWIPS system.  Finally, there is GEMPAK, which is also able to read
AWIPS-formatted netCDF satellite image data:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/

This is another fairly large system, and would only be useful if you
verified that the AWIPS conventions were used.

--Russ

P.S.:  It would be better to send questions like this to
"address@hidden" so they have a better chance of being
answered when I am away from my email ...