Re: 20020721: netcdf install problem

>To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>From: "J.G.Xiong" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf install problem

Hi J.G. Xiong,

> I failed to install netcdf on my linux(mandra...8.0). You can see my
> install method in netcdf.jpg. Would you please give me a help?

You can install netCDF either from binaries (that have already been
compiled for Mandrake systems), or by compiling and installing it
yourself from the source package we distribute.

Installing from binaries is usually easier, so if you want to do that,
check this link to get RPM binaries for Mandrake systems for various
platforms, including i586 (Pentium), Alpha, or PPC:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=netcdf&submit=Search+...&system=mandrake&arch=

If you want to install from source, you will need to follow the
instructions for building on Linux systems, contained in the
INSTALL.html document:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#linux

In particular, you will probably need to set the environment variable

  CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran

before running the configure script.  If you don't have a Fortran 90
compiler or don't need the Fortran 90 interface, you should also set
the environment variable

  F90=''

before running the configure script, to prevent it from testing for a
Fortran 90 compiler.  Those may be the only environment variables you
need to set, if you can accept whatever C, Fortran 77, and C++
compilers the configure script finds.

If this doesn't work, please send details to
"address@hidden".  Thanks.

--Russ