20020509: netCDF installation trouble on SGI (cont.)

>From: "Kristin"

Kristin,

>Thanks for your suggestions. I had already gotten the ncdump function and
>the C library functions that I had tried out to work via commenting out
>sections of the configuration files before I wrote to you the first time.

Just to make sure that we are on the same page...  My suggestion was to
edit the ncconfig.h header file that gets produced by configure.  It
was not to edit the configure file itself.

>I just wanted to make sure everything would work correctly
>and let you know of a possible incompatibility in the configuration system
>by attempting to get the ./configure;make;make install system to work
>without my commenting things out.

We appreciate the heads-up.

>I felt bad about leaving a NetCDF
>install on the system which had run into errors during configuration which
>I had not attempted to resolve the 'correct' way (ie through collaboration
>with you) instead of just by commenting out definitions which the machine
>found offensive.

OK.

>A login to the SGI here, I cannot give you. No one can
>log on to our machines from outside the firewall.

I suspected as much when I suggested it.

>I appreciate your help
>and the confirmation that my route of altering the configuration files was
>the correct way to go here.

I hope you mean altering the ncconfig.h header file.  Altering the configure
file to produce the same results could be done, but it is a lot harder
than simply commenting out the defines in ncconfig.h that conflict with
system include file.

>If you have any more suggestions in the future
>as to a more elegant way to solve this problem, please let me know.

OK.  We will, of course, build knowledge of this failure into future
releases (though an updated configure script), so the clue that
your problem has been "solved" may well be the announcement of the
next release.

Sorry for the hassles!

Tom

>From kyra Fri May 10 11:26:30 2002
>Subject: Re: 20020509: netCDF installation trouble on SGI (cont.)

Yes, I did try commenting out the "offensive" definition in
libsrc/ncconfig.h. I still got a long list of warnings but otherwise,
everything worked. My log files are attached if you'd like to see them.
Thanks for your help.

- Kristin