20020503: netCDF installation trouble on SGI (cont.)

>From: "Kristin"

Kristin,

re: macros.make

>There is no file named macros.make in my directory.

This actually says a lot by itself.  macros.make gets created by configure
when configure runs successfully.

>Here are my environment
>variables:
>HOME=/usr/people/kyra
>PATH=/usr/people/kyra/bin:/usr/local/tecplot9.02/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bsd:/sbin:
> /usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:.
>LOGNAME=kyra
>HZ=100
>TZ=EST5EDT
>TERM=vt100
>USER=kyra
>LANG=C
>SHELL=/bin/tcsh
>SHLVL=1
>PWD=/usr/people/kyra/netcdf-3.5.0/src
>HOST=casey
>HOSTTYPE=iris4d
>MSGVERB=text:action
>NOMSGLABEL=1
>NOMSGSEVERITY=1

OK, so you did not specify any environment variables.  This leaves
configure to select appropriate ones for you.  This is where the contents
of macros.make would have been useful.  It shows all of the settings
that were determined by configure.

>I let it run without specifically setting any environment variables this time
>since varrying the environment variables didn't solve the problem last time.

OK.

>I tried every reasonable combination of the environment variables listed on
>your web site when I first installed this and none of them worked.

OK.

>Done; confdefs.h is attached. There is no file named conftestval in the
>directory.

#define NF_INT1_T byte
#define NF_INT2_T integer*2
#define NF_INT1_IS_C_SIGNED_CHAR 1
#define NF_INT2_IS_C_SHORT 1
#define NF_INT_IS_C_INT 1
#define NF_REAL_IS_C_FLOAT 1
#define NF_DOUBLEPRECISION_IS_C_DOUBLE 1
#define NCBYTE_T byte
#define NCSHORT_T integer*2
#define HAVE_FTRUNCATE 1
#define HAVE_ALLOCA_H 1
#define HAVE_ALLOCA 1
#define HAVE_ST_BLKSIZE 1
#define ssize_t int
#define ptrdiff_t int
#define uchar unsigned char
#define __CHAR_UNSIGNED__ 1
#define WORDS_BIGENDIAN 1
#define SIZEOF_SHORT 0

OK.  The equivalent output from our IRIX64 system is:

#define NF_INT1_T byte
#define NF_INT2_T integer*2
#define NF_INT1_IS_C_SIGNED_CHAR 1
#define NF_INT2_IS_C_SHORT 1
#define NF_INT_IS_C_INT 1
#define NF_REAL_IS_C_FLOAT 1
#define NF_DOUBLEPRECISION_IS_C_DOUBLE 1
#define NCBYTE_T byte
#define NCSHORT_T integer*2
#define HAVE_FTRUNCATE 1
#define HAVE_ALLOCA_H 1
#define HAVE_ALLOCA 1
#define HAVE_ST_BLKSIZE 1
#define STDC_HEADERS 1
#define uchar unsigned char
#define __CHAR_UNSIGNED__ 1
#define WORDS_BIGENDIAN 1
#define SIZEOF_SHORT 2

In reviewing your configure.log and our configure.log outputs, the
major difference we find is that we are using '/bin/c89 -E' for C
preprocessing, and you are using '/lib/cpp'.  Our hypothesis is,
therefore, that there is some incompatibility between your c89 compiler
and your C preprocessor, /lib/cpp (perhaps your C installtion is a lot
newer?).

To check this hypothesis, we want you to _explicitly_ set the following
environment variables after taking the 'exit' out of configure (and
uncommenting the lines you commented):

CC=/bin/c89
CPP='/bin/c89 -E'
FC=/bin/f90
CXX=
CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
CFLAGS=-O
FFLAGS=-O

Use whatever syntax is called for by the shell you are using.

After setting the environment variables, you will need to run:

make distclean
./configure

and then let us know the results of this test.

>Thanks for your help -- hopefully we can solve this problem and maybe
>contribute to future advancements for the NetCDF configuration system.

We are 99% convinced that the problem is somehow related to your C
installation.

Tom