20020424: netCDF Installation problem (cont.)

>From: okalinga <address@hidden>

Oscar,

>I'm able to run the netCDF now i.e. the "ncdump" utility.

Very good.

>In your previous
>message you hinted about the possibility of running multiple invocations of
>"ncdump" at the same time; may I know how to do this because I have thousands
>of files to convert (i.e. ARM DATA).

Running multiple, simultaneous invocations of ncdump has nothing to do
with ncdump itself.  My comment was simply a reminder that in Unix you
can run a process in the background.  Given this, you can kick off as
many processes as the OS will allow (this is OS dependent) at
more-or-less the same time.  The processes will then compete with each
other for system resources, but they will all be running "at the same
time".

Here is a crude example of kicking off multiple ncdumps on netCDF files
in a directory (this is only meant to be illustrative of something you
could do):

Suppose you work in the C shell (I use this since I am more familiar
with it than with other shells, but they all have similar
capabilities).  Further suppose that all of your netCDF files are in
the directory /data/netcdf and they all have a suffix of '.nc.'.
Finally suppose that you want ASCII dumps of each of the netCDF files,
and you want to put those dumps in the directory /data/ascii.  One
non-elegant way to run simultaneous ncdumps of those files would be:

% foreach ncfile (/data/netcdf/*.nc)
? ncdump $file > /data/ascii/$file.ascii &
? end

Note: The '%' and '?' characters are Unix prompts, not something you
type in.  Also, the '&' at the end of the ncdump line puts the
execution of the process in the background.

This will create an ASCII dump of each file that matches
/data/netcdf/*.nc in the /data/ascii directory.

Best of luck...

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Apr 26 20:59:12 2002

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your assistance; now I can run multiple invocations of "ncdump".

Regards, Oscar