20020402: install netcdf on Solaris 5.8 using c89, f90, and g++

>From: "Limin Zhao" <address@hidden>

Limin Zhao,

>I'm trying to install the netcdf lib on our SUN mechine. We
>have " SunOS 5.8 sun4u sparc, SUNW, Ultra-80".
>
>Since we do not have SUN C++, we install GNU gcc/g++.

OK.

>I have checked the instruction on the installing netcdf, but
>could not find any set of enviroment variables that use c89, f90
>with g++.  I tried the following set, but got a warning message
>
>============================
>
>CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89
>FC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f90
>FFLAGS=-w
>CXX=/usr/local/bin/g++
>CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
>F90FLAGS=-O -w
>
>==============================

First, it would be best to not mix use of the Sun C and GNU C++ (g++)
compilers.  We have not tried this here, and we know of no site that
has tried this on their own.

In general, it would be better to _attempt_ to mix use of the vendor
F90 compiler coupled with both GNU gcc and g++ as Fortran is more
decoupled from gcc/g++ than c89 is from g++.

>-----------
>configure: warning: /usr/local/bin/g++ failed on test program
>configure: warning: Could not find working C++ compiler
>configure: warning: Setting CXX to the empty string
>configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built

This says that your g++ application does not work.  Clues as to
why this would be the case can be found in the config.log file.

>Any help from you are very appreciated.

If you do get the c89/f90/g++ combination to work, please let us know
so that we can at least point to your experiment as successful.

>Regards,
>Limin Zhao

Tom Yoksas