20020314: Application Files of NetCDF (IRAN) (cont.)

>From: "Majid Naderi" <address@hidden>

Majid,

>Thank you for your kind attention and the informative reply to the
>INCO's request about the problem of running the netCDF.

You are welcome.

>It seems the zip files that are in your web site contain of the library
>sources of netCDF only.

That is correct.  The netCDF is an Applications Programming Interface
(API) library that one can use to read and write files in netCDF
format.  It does not contain end-to-end applications for doing so,
but the included routine ncdump can be used to list out the
contents of netCDF files, and ncgen can be used to create a program
template using a netCDF file.

>I am not able to find application files for
>utilizing of the netCDF software. It seems the users have to write own
>program to use the library of netCDF! We prefer to use the netCDF as
>software for formatting the oceanographic data. Is there single software
>of netCDF or are there any sources of application files in your site in
>this regard?

There are a number of developers world wide that have created
applications that can be used for creating and viewing data in netCDF
format files.  We maintain a not-so complete listing of packages we
know about in:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  netCDF HomePage
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf

    Software for manipulating or displaying netCDF data
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

>In addition the compiler for compiling the sources is microsoft Visual
>C++ Ver.6.

You may be able to find a package developed listed in the web page
above (these are developed outside of Unidata) that will provide the
functionality that you need.  Please look through the list of packages
listed on the last web page above and see if there is something you can
use.

>It was very interesting for me to hear that you were living in Tehran
>from 1955 to 1958. Since that time, Tehran has developed in many ways.

I can imagine that Tehran is a much different place than in 1958.
After all, that is now 44 years ago!

>With best regards
>A. Naderi

Cheers,