20020314: AIX netCDF build with "xlf -qqutodbl=dbl4"

Srikanth,

>Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:45:58 +0000 (GMT)
>From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Srikanth=20Nagarajan?= <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: netcdf help !

> I recently installed the netcdf version 3.5 and I used
> it with fortran 77 interface.I actually run a atm.
> model on a IBM AIX machine(fortran source) with a xlf
> compiler option -qqutodbl=dbl4(used for promoting real
> objects to double). As the fortran source in turn
> calls some of the netcdf routines I have been
> experiencing problems for use of option -qautodbl as
> the netcdf package is of single precision I suppose.So
> I kindly request you to please tell me where could I
> find a double precision version of netcdf package or
> else what option should I use to compile netcdf for
> use in double precion version with xlc and xlf as
> compilers.

We don't have any experience with the -qqutodbl=dbl4 option you
describe, so we can only guess at a solution.  Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

    3.  Ensure that the following environment variables contain, at
        least, the indicated strings:

            FC=xlf
            FFLAGS=-qqutodbl=dbl4

        Also, set the environment variable F90 to the empty string.
        This will prevent the Fortran-90 interface from being built,
        which is good because your Fortran interface won't support
        32-bit floating-point values.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,