Re: 20020308: New Tcl-Interface for Netcdf available

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "Gunter Spranz" <address@hidden>
>Subject: New Tcl-Interface for Netcdf available

Hi Gunter,

> I have developed a Tcl/Tk interface for NetCDF. It is working flawlessly
> with new releases of Tcl (Last time I tested with Tcl/Tk 8.3.2). It
> links as static library or can be loaded dynamically as a package.
>
> Features include:
>
> - Resides in a TCL namespace
>
> - Support for BLT-vectors (http://www.tcltk.com/blt, seems to be down at
> the moment)
>
> - Syntax takes advantage of Tcl features like lists and variable
> parameter count.
> For example, there is just a single call put_var which implements all 35
> (I think) flavors of the NetCDF nc_put_var*_* call.
>
> - Full support of all NetCDF features
>
> - Uses SWIG (http://www.swig.org) for interfacing
>

> I use the interface internally for a visualization package. I'll send a
> non-polished version to anyone interested, just contact me. If there is
> enough interest I will make a decent documentation and release the
> source as well.
>
> Here is the current release info:
>
> /************************************
>
>    netcdf_tcl.i
>    A SWIG interface for TCL/TK 8.x and BLT 2.4 for the library netCDF
> 3.4
>    Written 1999-2001 by Gunter Spranz
>    Version 1.02, released 19.01.2001
>
>  ************************************/

Thanks for the information and for all the development effort.  Is
there a web site where interested users can find out more or download
your Tcl/Tk interface?  If so, I'd like to include it in the list of
"Software for Manipulating or Displaying NetCDF Data" at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

There is another Tcl/Tk interface described there:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#Tcl/Tk

but I could include a description of yours as well in the same entry,
or with a separate entry if you would prefer.

--Russ