Re: 20020214: Precompiled Windows NetCDF Libraries

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "Guy Gersbach" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Precompiled Windows NetCDF Libraries

Hi Guy,

Sorry it has taken so longer to reply to the Absoft questions, but I'm
afraid we aren't able to provide much help.

> It may be useful to know that the compiled libraries for Windows made
> available through this site could possibly be used with
> AbsoftProFORTRAN.  In order to determine the compiler and linker options
> for AbsoftProFORTRAN (Windows version) the Absoft people have requested
> the following information:
>
> 1. Are the entry points in upper/lower/mixed case?

All the C functions that are called from Fortran are all lower case.
In the Fortran90 interface, the user interface functions such as
"nf90_put_var" are all lower case, but these are overloaded to call
internal functions of mixed case, such as
"nf90_put_var_FourByteReal".  The latter internal functions call the
Fortran 77 functions with all lower-case names, which in turn call
functions with all lower-case names..

> 2. Do the entry points expect a CDECL or STDCALL calling sequence?

No one here knows what "CDECL" or "STDCALL" refer to.  We aren't
compiler implementors, we're just using the cfortran.h mechanism to
parameterize all the various ways to call C functions from Fortran.
The layering of the interfaces is that the Fortran90 interface uses
the Fortran77 interface exclusively and the Fortran77 interface uses
the C interface exclusively.  The C interface is the documented API
for C programs to access netCDF files, and it does not use any special
conventions for multi-language interfaces.

> 3. If the entry points are STDCALL are they decorated in the normal way
> by appending "@nn" where nn == number of arguments x 4 (stack size.)

Definitely not.

> 4. Are the entry points decorated in any non-standard way for Win32 API?

No.  The API is intended for use on a wide range of platforms
including various Unix, Windows, and MacOS systems with various
combinations of C, C++, Fortran77, and Fortran90 compilers.

> Any response to the above questions would be most appreciated.

I hope this is of some help.

--Russ