20020201: Linux NetCDF installation: Fujitsu Fortran compiler

Annarita,

>Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:10:25 -0500
>From: Annarita Mariotti <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20020201: Linux NetCDF installation: Fujitsu Fortran compiler

> I hope you don't mind me attaching the file test.log, I had some trouble
> including it in the text.

Big file! I see lots of warning messages. There's probably an option to
the f90 compiler that you can put in the FFLAGS environment variable
that will eliminate the warnings, making the file "test.log" much
smaller.

It appears that the Fujitsu Fortran compiler that you're using doesn't
following the Linux naming conventions for when Fortran routines invoke
C functions.  Do you know if the compiler is designed to be compatible
with any other Fortran compiler (e.g. g77, Lahey, Intel)?

We've never delt with that Fortran compiler before; consequently, we
don't know what its calling conventions are.

It might be possible to tell the C compiler that the Fortran compiler
is just like another Fortran compiler that it already knows about.
Unfortunately, this can only be discovered by brute force. If your
willing to try this, then do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 near the end of the file INSTALL.html.

    3.  Ensure that the environment variable CPPFLAGS contains the
        string

            -Dxxxxxxxx

        where "xxxxxxxx" is replaced with one of the following

            NAGf90Fortran
            f2cFortran
            hpuxFortran
            apolloFortran
            sunFortran
            IBMR2Fortran
            CRAYFortran
            pgiFortran
            mipsFortran
            defined(DECFortran
            vmsFortran
            CONVEXFortran
            PowerStationFortran
            AbsoftUNIXFortran
            AbsoftProFortran
            SXFortran

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 8 near the end of the file INSTALL.html.

Iterate over the above steps using the C macros of step 3.  Stop when
the "make test" succeeds.

If you find a C macro that works, then please let us know.

Regards,