20020121: where is Fortran routine "handle_err"

Lisheng,

> To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
> From: "Zhang, Lisheng [Ontario]" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Questions

>     I am a new user of NetCDF. I have just installed NetCDF on my Unix
> system. I would like to use FORTRAN to create or read NetCDF dataset.  When
> I compiled my code, there was an error that it could not  resolve text
> symbol 'handle_err'. The following is what I used for compiling:
>
>     F77 -c -I/urs.../include read.f
>     F77 read.o -L/usr/.../lib -lnetcdf
>
>     Could you please tell me what is wrong with my command and how to deal
> with the error?
>
>     Thank you for your attention. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
>

>     Sincerely yours,
>

>     Lisheng

The netCDF library doesn't contain the global symbol "handle_err" and
doesn't call any routine by that name (the netCDF User's Guide does show
a routine by this name as an example of a user-created error-handler --
but that is only an example).

It is likely that "handle_err" is being called by a routine that is not
in the netCDF library.  I suggest that you search the source code of
your application (the "grep" utility is useful for this) and any
relevant libraries (the "nm" utility is useful for this) to discover
where that routine is being invoked.  This knowledge should help you
solve the problem (for example, you might have to add a library to the
link-command or change the order of referenced libraries to obtain the
"handle_err" routine).

Regards,