Re: 20020121: netCDF install failure

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Kim Welford" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Just can't get the last install to work

Hi Kim,

>       I'm needing to install netCDF so that I can run GMT but the
> install keeps failing on the last step. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks!!
> Making `install' in directory /data/ubc/netcdf-3.5.0/src/f90
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/data/ubc/netcdf-3.5.0/src/f90'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `netcdf.mod', needed by
> `/data/ubc/netcdf-3.5.0/include/netcdf.mod'.  Stop.

The "make install" step appears to be failing in installing the
"netcdf.mod" Fortran-90 module file, probably because your Fortran-90
compiler named it something else besides "netcdf.mod" (unfortunately
there seems to be no standard for Fortran-90 compiled module names.

However, the "make install" step has succeeded in installing the C and
Fortran-77 library, which are all that is needed by GMT (I'm not even
sure if it needs the Fortran-77 library).  So you should be able to
proceed with building and using GMT.

If you are only building netCDF for GMT and don't need the
experimental Fortran-90 interface to netCDF, you can also get around
this problem by just specifying not to build and install the
Fortran-90 interface by setting the environment variable

  F90=''

before you run the configure script.  Similarly, the C++ interface is
not needed for GMT either, as far as I know, so you could also set
the environment variable CXX='' to avoid compiling and installing
that.

If you choose to rebuild netCDF without these interfaces, remember to
remove the "Config.cache" file and run "make clean" before invoking
the "configure" script.

--Russ