20010111: Installing netCDF 3.5 on HP-UX 11.11

Papp Gabor,

>Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:28:02 +0100 (MET)
>From: Papp Gabor <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Installing netCDF 3.5 on HP-UX 11.11

> Dear Steve Emmerson,
>
> I try to install netCDF package on our new platform
> (HP A500 PA8400). We have both ANSI C and Fortran90
> compilers but my efforts to "revive" netCDF package
> failed at the configure step. I send you the necessary
> details as written in INSTALL.HTM file (Items A to E).
> Please, be so kind and help me if possible.
>
> Thank you for your efforts in advance!
>
> Gabor Papp
> Geodetic & Geophysical Res. Inst.
> Sopron, Hungary
>
> uname.lst:
> HP-UX a B.11.11 U 9000/800 533700558 unlimited-user license
>
> VERSION:
> 3.5.0
>
> pathnames:
> /usr/bin/cc
> /opt/fortran90/bin/f90
>
> configure.log:
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for top-level source-directory
> /home/papp/netcdf-3.5.0/src
> checking for m4 preprocessor
> checking for m4... m4
> checking m4 flags... -B10000
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for c89... c89
> checking C compiler "c89"... works
> checking how to make dependencies... false
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... no
> configure: warning: Could not find working C++ compiler
> configure: warning: Setting CXX to the empty string
> configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... c89 -E
> checking for fort77... no
> configure: warning: Could not find working Fortran-77 compiler
> configure: warning: The Fortran-77 interface will not be built

It looks like the configure script couldn't discover a Fortran-77
compiler.  I suggest that you use the Fortran-90 compile as the
Fortran-77 compiler.

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 mentioned near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

    3. Ensure that the configure script uses the Fortran-90 compiler as
       the Fortran-77 compiler by appropriately setting the FC and F90
       environment variables. For example:

            export FC=/opt/fortran90/bin/f90
            export F90=/opt/fortran90/bin/f90

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 mentioned near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,