Re: 20020104: netCDF software applications/utilities

>From: Patrick Joeckel <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF software

Hi Patrick,

> I am using the netCDF format for a long time now, and I developped
> two tools which I would like to share with others. I wonder, if you are
> interested to include these on your web-page
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html).

Yes, thanks!  These look very useful.  I'm CC:ing a few other people
here who may have a use for ncregrid.

> The first is "ncregrid":
> ncregrid is a tool (written in FORTRAN-90) for data transfer of gridded 2-
> and 3-dimensional (spatial) geophysical/geochemical scalar fields
> between grids of different resolutions. The algorithm handles data on
> rectangular latitude/longitude grids (not necessarily evenly spaced) and
> vertical pressure hybrid grids of arbitrary resolution. The input/output data
> format is netCDF. ncregrid is freely available without any warranty
> under the GNU public license (GPL). ncregrid can be used as a "stand-alone"'
> program, and/or linked as an interface to a model, in order to
> re-grid automatically the input from an arbitrary grid space onto the
> required grid resolution.
> More information is available on the web-page:
> http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~joeckel/ncregrid/index.html
>
> The second one is "ncdx" (it is related to OpenDX, which is already in your
> list):
> ncdx is a tool (written in FORTRAN-90) that scans a netCDF file and makes it
> OpenDX compliant. ncdx is freely available without any warranty
> under the GNU public license (GPL).
> More information is available on the web-page:
> http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~joeckel/ncdx/index.html
>
> If you are interested, please let me know.

I have added entries to the web page you suggested:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#ncdx
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#ncregrid

I also took the liberty to add a "What's New with NetCDF" entry
mentioning the two tools, at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/whatsnew.html

Finally, you're now in the Unidata NetCDF Credits list at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/credits.html

Please let me know if you want me to make any changes to any of these.
(I spelled your name with an umlaut, for example, but let me know if
you prefer the other way ...).

You might also consider sending an announcement about the availability
of ncregrid and ncdx to the "address@hidden" mailing
list, since many people on the mailing list would be interested in
these tools.  If you would rather that I send such an announcement,
please let me know.

Thanks again for your efforts on behalf of the community of netCDF
users!

--Russ