Re: 20010103: multi-dimensional array writes in c++

>To: address@hidden
>From: Bill Cassanova <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20010103: multi-dimensional array writes in c++

Bill,

> OK, I thought I was doing something slightly wrong.  I'll try
> your suggestions and let you know...By the way excellent C++ api.
> Much easier than the C interface because of all the overloaded methods.

Thanks.  It was so long ago that I didn't take advantage of any of the
more advanced C++ facilities such as exceptions, templates, and the
standard library classes like String.  Charlie Zender has been
developing a better C++ interface to netCDF which you might want to
try, if you find limitations in the current interface:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/4427

> I saw on your personal website that you seemed to be a Macintosh
> enthusiast.  Have you heard of anyone getting netCDF to compile
> correctly on OSX or darwin?  I'd love to have the new Mac but I
> do a fair amount of work with netCDF and don't want to have to
> recode things in Objective C.

Yes, I got netCDF to build fine under Mac OS X 10.1 with the developers
tools installed.  See:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#macosx

for details.  In particular, the C++ interface seemed to work fine
with the /usr/bin/c++ that comes with the Developer Tools (I think
it's just g++).  Someone else has even succeeded using the Absoft
Fortran 90 compiler for the netCDF Fortran 90 interface on Mac OS X:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/other-builds.html#absoft-macosx

--Russ