Re: 20011216: NetCDF install problems on Mac OS 10

>cc: address@hidden
>From: Andrew Robertson <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF install problems on Mac OS 10

Andy,

> thanks very much for your reply. My version of "fc" wasn't working,
> so I had substituted f2c - thanks for pointing out that error.
>
> Once I found another fc on the web, that compiled OK, but it
> wouldn't link in configure
> "configure: error: Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o"

For the f2c package, fc is just a script, so it shouldn't need
compiling.  If you want me to send the version I'm using, let me know;
I don't think I did anything to customize it.

Also something to watch out for: "fc" is also a utility to list, edit,
or re-execute commands previously entered to an interactive shell.  To
make sure you use the fc that's the Fortran compiler script that calls
f2c, it might be necessary to invoke it by absolute pathname, so you
don't accidentally get the "fc" than implements shell history.

> My dynamic libraries seem to be corrupt (libm.dylib & libSystem.dylib)
> which perhaps happened when I upgraded to 10.1. I will re-install the OS
> & try again. Now I know from your mail that it should work!

Let me know, and thanks for pointing out the problem with our
suggested f2c environment settings for Mac OS X ...

--Russ