Re: Mac OS X-Absoft: back to original error in cfortran.h

>To: address@hidden
>From: Dierk Polzin <address@hidden>
>Subject: MacOS X: FINK install of netcdf fails

Dierk,

> fails like before...
> 1) cfortran.h  line132:
> /usr/bin/cc -c -O -I../libsrc   fort-attio.c
> cfortran.h:132: "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environment among:
>
> pp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in
> basic mode

Try using "-DAbsoftUNIXFortran" is part of your CPPFLAGS environment
variable (From the above, it doesn't look like you are doing this).
If that doesn't work, you could try "-DAbsoftProFortran".

If that doesn't work, I think the only way you will get the netCDF
Fortran interfaces working with the Absoft Fortran compiler on a Mac
OS X system is to check whether Absoft uses the same conventions for
calling C functions from Fortran routines that Absoft compilers on
other platforms use, and then do whatever is necessary to trick
cfortran.h into using the Absoft conventions.  By "conventions" I mean
assumptions about how Fortran routines are named (sometimes with "_"
appended, or prepended, how character string parameters are passed,
etc.).  Unfortunately there is no standard for how this is done, and
many different conventions for different Fortran/C compilers, so we
have to rely on something like cfortran.h to capture the various
conventions.

We don't have access to Absoft Fortran on Mac OS X here, and even if
we did, I'm not confident we could figure out a way to use the current
cfortran.h in the Mac OS X/Absoft environment.  It's possible solving
this problem will require a modification to cfortran.h, which we don't
maintain.

> 2) I guess I could try putting the newer cfortan.h

I looked at the comments about what was added in later versions of
cfortran.h, and there was no mention of better support for Absoft or
any support for Mac OS X.

> 3) I guess I could check to see that the correction you gave me
> yesterday is still stuck..
>
> FC=/Applications/Absoft/bin/f77
> FFLAGS=-N15 -f -w
> CPPFLAGS=