Re: 20011031: Make Install err w/ netCDF (fwd)

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:26:10 -0700
From:    Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To:      "Glenn Rutledge" <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20011031: Make Install err w/ netCDF

>To: Russ Rew <address@hidden>
>From: "Glenn Rutledge" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Make Install err w/ netCDF

Glenn,

> I want to extract a certain variable form the model and write it out in
> ascii.  Can
> this be done in the standard issue netCDF package or must I have NCO.  (it
> looks
> like NCO is nice however).

Yes, you can use ncdump, which is a utility that is part of the netCDF
package.  To extract the variable "var" and see its values in ascii,
from the netcdf file "foo.nc":

  ncdump -v var foo.nc

You can also get annotated values that include comments specifying
the indices for the values using the ncdump options -b or -f (for
brief or full annotations).

If you just want the "header" information, try

  ncdump -h foo.nc

which will give you all the declarations but none of the data.

If you want that plus the coordinate variable values, use

  ncdump -c foo.nc

--Russ

------- End of Forwarded Message